Talking to politicians - Pt1
To be honest, I've never paid much attention to the political process in our country, never convinced it really made much difference in my life. Terrible as it is, I've usually asked my parents who they are voting for and gone that route, assuming they were paying more attention than I. However, with the upcoming European election, I decided to see if the poltical parties would be interested in sitting down with the apathetic voter and try to convince them why they deserve their vote. The plan is to spend fifteen minutes or so with someone from the office of each of the people standing for election to the European parliament, record the conversation and make it available online, with the assumption that it may be of interest to those who, like me, don't really have a clue. Step one was the sending of this email to the addresses provided to the party websites:I shall update if/as I get responses. For reference, the people standing for election are as follows (taken from http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/guide/northern-ireland-european)
I am an early 30s voter who has never been convinced that voting really makes a difference.
I would be interested in sitting down with someone from the party and giving them fifteen minute to convince me why they should get my vote. I would like to record this and make it available online for the many like me who are, shall we say, politically apathetic.
Please let me know if this is a possibility.
- Diane Dodds (DUP) - Response from Clive McFarland (2nd)
- Bairbre de Brun (Sinn Fein) - Reponse from Brian Keane then Niall Ó Donnghaile with offer to meet in Stormont (5th)
- Jim Nicholson (Conservative/Ulster Unionist) - Response from Alex Kane to organise a meeting
- Alban Maguinness (SDLP)
- Ian Parsley (Alliance) - Phoned to say they were hectic this weekend, but would sort someone out next week, most likely Ian Parsley (3rd)
- Steven Agnew (Green) - Responded in person (1st)
- Jim Allister (Traditional Unionist Voice) - Response from Sammy Morrison with campaign literature. Sent reply pushing for 1to1 time (4th) UPDATE: No, they won't talk to me.